Saturday, November 18, 2006

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny

This is the greatest and best review in the world. Tribute.

Finally gracing the silver screen in a full-length feature (a cameo in “Bio-Dome” not withstanding), Jack Black and Kyle Gass are larger that life and louder than your neighbor’s kids with “Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny”.

Largely composed of themes and material from their album and their short-lived stint on HBO, the film follows the formation of the greatest band and their quest for the legendary pick of destiny, said to hold the key to fame and musical greatness.

If you are at all familiar with the band, you will not only know the kind of humor you’re in for but you’ll probably already know some of the jokes.

That’s one of my biggest problems with the film. I’d seen maybe a quarter of the film already by being the nerdy fan I am.

I’m all for paying homage to your roots and having a wink or a nod here and there but having full-on rehashes of previous work just reminds me of the opening scene to “Strange Brew” where the audience realizes the film is just the stuff on their album and a call for refunds and near riot ensues.

Good times, eh?

Also on the negative side, I was hoping for much more kick-ass, wacky humor. In stretching the story to feature length, much of the film felt forced and I was left waiting for the expositional stuff to subside into the trademark craziness far too often.

Still, I am a huge fan of the D. Short of breaking up the band for real, I doubt this film could have truly disappointed me.

The acting is expectedly over the top and cheesy, the story is nonsensical and ridiculous and the music is crass and vulgar.

Plus, there are hilarious cameos by the likes of Ronnie James Dio, Tim Robbins, David Grohl, Colin Hanks, Amy Adams, David Koechner, David Krumholtz, John C. Reilly and Meat Loaf. Heck even Ben Stiller got in the film, thanks to a little known contractual thing he has with any and every Hollywood comedy that’s made within the continental United States.

In other words, it rocked my “fucking socks off!”

Okay, maybe that’s going too far but still, I was entertained and will definitely add the DVD to my collection.

If you are not familiar with the band, go ahead and hit yourself with something heavy and unwieldy. The rest of you probably already saw the film but if you were a lazy Susan, get to it lame-o!

There isn’t anything truly remarkable about “Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny” from a film perspective so I’ll award it a 3 out of 5. It ranks higher in my heart but it can’t count or type (yet).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CounterData.com

This includes you.
Counter
CounterData.com

Search Advertising
Search Advertising Counter
.