Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Jackass Number Two

If there’s one thing I absolutely love, it’s people hurting themselves for my amusement and few things do that better than the Jackass crew.

With the profitability of their first film, it was a no-brainer that a second one would come our way. Hence, “Jackass Number Two”.

I additionally appreciate that they didn’t fail to capitalize on making a fecal joke in the title.

Anywho, I think listing the people in “Jackass Number Two” will take longer than reviewing the film. All the regulars are back: Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Steve-O, Chris Pontius, Preston Lacy, Ryan Dunn, Ehren McGhehey and Wee Man.

Jeff Tremaine continues to helm the ship of fools as director/instigator and some familiar faces make a return in cameo spots as well as a few new ones - Jay Chandrasekhar, Tony Hawk, Mat Hoffman, Spike Jonze, Mike Judge, John Waters, Luke Wilson and Rip Taylor.

Okay, having fun reading lists of names? Well, let’s just get to it then, eh?

I enjoyed this installment of the idiotic and childish antics I’ve come to know and love.

However, the tone of their pranks went a little bit more into the mean spirited realm this time around. Either I’m really changing as I get older, becoming one of those people who “just don’t get it”, or the majority of the new material in this film centered on causing distress to not only the unsuspecting public in some of the gags, but to each other.

I found my jaw a bit sore after the film from laughing so much but that’s because the physical punishment these guys endured is practically insane. I’m continually shocked not one of them has died during some of these sequences.

There’s not much point in fully illustrating the types of stunts/gags they do this time around. Many of the gags are variations on stuff seen on their MTV show or in the first film. You either like this brand of entertainment of you don’t. To no one’s surprise, there isn’t anything here that will convert someone to the other side.

Perhaps the most shocking thing in regards to the whole affair is that this film garnered two thumbs up from the Ebert & Roeper program. I’m not sure Ebert actually was one of the thumbs as he is still recovering (my best wishes go out to him) but the idea that Roeper gave a nod of approval is kinda scary.

In any case, I’m going to go along and give “Jackass Number Two” a 3 out of 5. Fans of the show will find enjoyment here and all others should stay far away. The first film was much better but I’m a sucker for watching grown men kick each other in the scrotal region. It’s just plain funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CounterData.com

This includes you.
Counter
CounterData.com

Search Advertising
Search Advertising Counter
.