Thursday, August 17, 2006

Talladega Nights

Racing its way to #1 at the box office the last few weeks has been “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby”.

And why not? The film stars comedy’s current champion, Will Ferrell. He’s supported by the always-great John C. Reilly and there are great supporting performances by Gary Cole, Michael Clarke Duncan and Sacha Baron Cohen (some know him better as Ali G).

Hell, while I’m at it, let’s mention the two beautiful and talented women who light up the screen and keep it from being a complete sausage fest, Leslie Bibb and Amy Adams.

All of that, really loud cars, perhaps more product placement than “Wayne’s World” and I still almost fell asleep two or three times.

The sad thing is, with all of that talent, the film really isn’t all that funny.

All of the jokes are in the trailer. And all the other jokes are retreads of the jokes you saw in the trailer.

Maybe I should have taken a bigger look at the title of the film, “The Ballad of Ricky Bobby”. Instead of going for all out wackiness, director Adam McKay tried too hard to make a complete film.

Sure, there’s a place for heart and story in films. Even in comedies. Look at “The 40-Year Old Virgin” for an example of how to do it right.

Even more sad is that McKay directed the hilarious “Anchorman”. His teaming with Ferrell there worked like magic.

Inside the world of NASCAR, all of that magic was gone.

I’m not even going to bother trying to find the faults in the film. I just want to move on now.

I’m giving “Talladega Nights” a 2 out of 5. I found some funny moments and the actors give strong performances but the film moves like it’s stuck in 1st gear and just like Ricky Bobby, “I wanna go fast.”

Whatever you do, take a right at this clunker and head for something else. I’m pretty sure you can get a six-pack of your favored beverage and still have a few ones left over for the Gentleman’s Club with the $10 you’re saving by missing this film.

3 Comments:

Blogger B said...

I'll have to disagree with you, but only slightly... I like Ferrell as you know, especially his early work on SNL. Didn't really like Anchorman, but I think the upcoming Stranger Than Fiction looks interesting though...

A lot of the movie was revealed in the trailers... But where you say “all of that magic was gone” - I say that's partially a statement of the segment of society it's criticizing... NASCAR is one of the greatest examples of marketing power creating this gigantic sect of the American culture obsessed with making left turns (I don't get it).

I wasn't expecting to like any of this, but I liked that it mocked the the over marketed aspects of NASCAR, it's routine audience, the pretension of the French, and the behavior of some eccentric F1 drivers.

I loved the nonsensical cameos of Andy Richter, Mos Def, and Elvis Costello. While I can love and hate parts of the Ali G show, I really enjoyed Sacha Baron Cohen's character and how he crafted it.

I also liked the segment of how to get over one's fear of getting back into the car and going fast. I love visual humor involving Gary Cole and big cats.

It's not Snakes on a Plane or the 40-Year Old Virgin, but it's not as bad as Anchorman to me...

8/18/2006 01:46:00 PM  
Blogger Upgrayedd said...

I see where you're coming from. And I absolultely agree that the actors were great.

There are funny moments in the film.

But overall, I found myself wishing I had just gone to see "The Devil Wears Prada" again.

Of course, I'm a lesbian.

8/18/2006 04:06:00 PM  
Blogger General Anacock said...

I have to *mostly* side with Ian on this one, but I also disagree with your Anchorman assessment B.

I thought Anchorman, minute for minute was a funnier film than Talladega. I agree that the actors did a great job. I especially like the whole part how John C. Reiley's character doesn't quite get how sleeping with his best friends wife and taking his family could ruin their friendship.

Overall, a good movie. I liked Beerfest a little better though.

8/29/2006 06:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CounterData.com

This includes you.
Counter
CounterData.com

Search Advertising
Search Advertising Counter
.