Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

As proven time and time again, I am much more similar to a girl than a boy. Sure, anatomically, I meet male standards (insert joke here). But as far as music and my ability to like traditionally female films go, I’m a girl.

So I’m sure it comes as no surprise that I have been eagerly anticipating “The Devil Wears Prada”. Thankfully, I can regain some of my masculinity by saying that 87% of the reasons I wanted to see this film is because it stars Anne Hathaway (seriously, call me).

Okay, so as one may have surmised from the trailers, (or should I say film clip), that marketed the film, “The Devil Wears Prada” is about a good, down-to-earth girl (Hathaway), becoming the assistant to the evil maven of fashion, played by Meryl Streep.

The film co-stars the always-great Stanley Tucci, as well as Emily Blunt as Emily the other assistant (How’d they come up with the name?) and Adrian Grenier of “Entourage” fame as the boyfriend who loves the old, frumpy girl – not the new, Vogue girl.

There really are no surprises in the film. The plot follows the standard points and all of the beats are there.

Hathaway tries to stay true to her roots but is eventually caught up in the fashion world and becomes the very thing she hates. Then something happens that forces her to choose which world she will live in, the old or the new.

Along the way, the ice queen of a boss gains a level of respect for her new assistant and the displaced other assistant is relegated to scut duty. And of course, the boyfriend can only be with the girl he fell in love with, not the new girl whose sense of priorities mystify him.

Oh, what was that? You don’t want to know what happens? Wake up and smell the well tread path of this film. If you don’t know what’s going to happen, you probably have seen a grand total of 6 films, which probably include “The Wizard of Oz” and “The Lion King”.

But here’s the weird thing … I really liked this film.

Sure I knew where it was going but the central characters (Grenier aside because I find him a bit on the dull side) are fantastic and engaging.

Hathaway, of course, is endearing and charming and far from a sore sight … I’m thinking of getting her face tattooed on the inside of my eyelids so I can see her when I close my eyes. Is that weird?

Yes it is.

Back to her performance, this is they type of role that Hathaway has done so well in past films like “The Princess Diaries” and “Ella Enchanted”. She plays the fish out of water part better than anyone in her generation. And even without an unhealthy sized crush, you can’t help but root for her characters.

I generally don’t like Streep but in this role she is essentially Cruella De Vil in Manolo Blahnik high heels. Her frosty demeanor and can’t be bothered attitude are a joy to watch on screen. She embodied everything the layperson thinks a fashion mogul would be like.

Emily Blunt does a wonderful job of being the assistant who wouldn’t look twice at Hathaway’s character in real life and can’t understand why she was hired in the first place.

And then there is Stanley Tucci. His character work is simply amazing. He always brings something fresh and fun to his roles. His take on his character is as iconic as Hector Elizondo’s role as the concierge in “Pretty Woman”.

Aside from the actors, there isn’t much to this film. The script is witty enough but the actors are the ones who play around with the words and bring them to life in this film. The direction is neat and smooth enough but nothing jumps out as a stylistic touch, which is odd in a film all about fashion.

This is more of a film for people who like to root for the underdog, don’t mind knowing exactly how it will end before the film starts, and enjoy watching actors spar with each other onscreen in a subtle manner.

If you think you would like this film, you probably will. If the idea of the film caused some sort of gag reaction, then don’t see it.

I’m giving “The Devil Wears Prada” a 3 out of 5. Not overly sentimental or gooey, I stayed entertained throughout.

Now again, I can’t reiterate this strongly enough: Anne, give me a call.

4 Comments:

Blogger Full Force said...

"We've secretly replaced Hank's Anne Hathaway with Audrey Tautou. Let's watch."

8/10/2006 08:16:00 PM  
Blogger Upgrayedd said...

Well, this girl is kinda cute but I can't understand a damn word she says!

Oh, what the hell, like I need her to talk ...

8/10/2006 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Terry said...

So do you like AH because you are a girl and a lesbian, or a guy and straight?

8/16/2006 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Upgrayedd said...

I choose answer D, all of the above.

8/17/2006 03:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CounterData.com

This includes you.
Counter
CounterData.com

Search Advertising
Search Advertising Counter
.