Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Lake House

Pop quiz, hot shot. You’ve fallen in love with someone and you’re both separated not by distance but by time. A mailbox has the ability to transfer messages back and forth through that time gap. What do you do? What do you do?

Well, you cast Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, of course!

“The Lake House” is a remake of a 2000 Korean film, “Il Mare”. While I haven’t seen the original, reading its description on Wikipedia reveals just how close of a remake “The Lake House” is.

While some details are changed to make the Chicago setting work better, only the ending is substantially different.

And therein lies the problem.

I could go on and on about this film – mentioning the great chemistry between Reeves and Bullock, the nice song and music choices to set the tone, the delicate sense of longing and yearning that director Alejandro Agresti was able to convey.

Hell, this is some of Reeves best work. I wasn’t making fun of his acting at all in this film! And that is saying a hell of a lot.

Still, all I really want to do is figure out who’s responsible for changing the ending and break their kneecaps with a sledgehammer.

I was really enjoying the film. It is extremely predictable but that can be okay in romantic dramas. The circular nature of the story is poetic in nature and quite beautiful. And then the ending happens.

Obviously, I’m not going to give it away. If you want to see this film, that’s up to you. I’m probably going to go find the Korean original film and see if the different ending allows me the level of satisfaction I was hoping for from the American remake.

If you are a regular moviegoer, you will see the ending coming from about the 10-minute mark. The surprise isn’t how it ends, but how engrossed you can become in a fictional relationship along the way.

I’m going to have to knock “The Lake House” down, giving it a 2 out of 5. A change in ending could have propelled the film up as high as a 4 possibly but I cannot forgive what transpires over the last 10 minutes.

I suppose this is a decent date movie but you’re probably better off renting something else and seeing if the wine you’ve been pouring all night affects your erection.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike Terry said...

And if the wine DOES affect my erection?

7/13/2006 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger Upgrayedd said...

Work out the tongue muscle my friend ... work the tongue.

7/13/2006 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Terry said...

Well, I guess since my speech is slurred anyway...

7/25/2006 06:53:00 AM  
Blogger Mike Terry said...

You need to see a new movie.

7/31/2006 06:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CounterData.com

This includes you.
Counter
CounterData.com

Search Advertising
Search Advertising Counter
.