Monday, May 29, 2006

Sketches of Frank Gehry

In a cinematic landscape full of mutants, Catholic uproar and animated animals (and don't forget the new Lindsay Lohan film!), the independent film world continues to counter-program with films like “Sketches of Frank Gehry”.

A documentary about the architect of the same name, “Sketches” distances itself from other documentaries by not being so much about the person but about his process and his work.

Perhaps that’s because the filmmaker responsible for putting it all together was Gehry’s friend, noted director Sydney Pollack. Pollack had never done a documentary before and it was Gehry who selected him after being approached by other documentary filmmakers.

The relationship between Pollack and Gehry is usually something you don’t want in a documentary. The point is to try and capture the subject as objectively as possible. However, I think it worked in this case, allowing Pollack greater access and ability to probe into Gehry’s mind.

Another aspect that worked for me was that there isn’t much about Gehry’s upbringing or past. I’m much more intrigued by the buildings themselves. If I want his biography, I’ll pick up a book.

In “Sketches”, Pollack focuses on showing the audience the process Gehry uses to create some of his outlandish designs. We are shown the hand-drawn sketch, the cardboard cutout model, the computer-generated design and the final product.

For those of you unfamiliar with Gehry, or at least which buildings are his exactly, the most well known example is the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain. Other notable and interesting examples are this sculpture in Barcelona, the Disney concert hall in Los Angeles and this building in Prague nicknamed the Dancing House. For my loyal Chicago readers, here’s something you may recognize (though I’m not sure what park it’s in).

Fans of architecture will find much to like in this documentary. As one myself, I found the non-traditional forms and wild designs exciting and I’m re-inspired to do more traveling.

Although this is mostly a nice, friendly documentary about a seemingly nice man with a unique sense of style, Pollack does make the point to voice some of the opposition to Gehry’s work in the architecture and art world.

While the arguments presented felt weak, and I personally just don’t see how you could not be impressed with Gehry’s work, it was nice to see some balance instead of just calling Gehry a genius for an hour and half.

As for the downsides to this documentary, I thought Pollack’s inexperience in compiling and editing what must have been a huge amount of film showed in the end result. Also, I was hoping to see more of his other buildings, both inside and out.

All told, I’m giving “Sketches of Frank Gehry” a 3 out of 5. If you are looking for something without car chases and world-ending pyrotechnics, this is a nice diversion.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike Terry said...

That piece of Chicago Architecture is in Millenium Park, not far from where I sit as I type this.

5/30/2006 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger Mike Terry said...

I think he also designed the prison in the episode of the Simpsons where Homer became a snitch.

5/30/2006 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger Upgrayedd said...

Thanks for the location info!

You're probably right about the Simpsons. When I looked him up on IMDb, he was listed for doing something with the show but I never looked into it.

5/30/2006 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger T. Oklahoma Bandwagon said...

Hey Ian -

What up? I saw a preview for the Gehry film. I'm not sure how to characterize it, but I ever since I watched "My Architect," I have had a hard time considering the more publicity-savvy architects as anything other than pretenders in light of Louis Kahn's career. I think this warrants mentioning more because of the power of film as propaganda than because of any innate value that can be assigned to the work of Kahn, Gehry, IM Pieh, or any of those fine fellers. In the same breath, I await your treatment of An Inconvenient Truth, and invite you into the obsessive attention I have been paying to it.

5/31/2006 09:02:00 PM  
Blogger Upgrayedd said...

Damn, Rick! You are a political machine!

Rest assured, I will get to Gore's newest "I used to be the next President of the United States" film.

It should be interesting to see our point-counterpoint once the review goes up.

5/31/2006 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Terry said...

Well, keep in mind that in Ebert's Review he said: "In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film."

Pretty Powerful Stuff.

6/02/2006 09:10:00 AM  
Blogger B said...

Sketches finally made it it Indy, albeit for a week, but the wife and I saw it last night. Correctly thought that this would be much better experience on the big screen for the purty shots of architecture... nutshells...

Great shots of Gehry's architecture... Interesting insight to his work... Poor documentary style (it was too much like friends talking and not enough narritave to get interested in the subject as a person)... It seemed like it was assumed that his work was genuis from the beginning (poor assumption)... Only a tiny bit of the massive amounts of criticism on Gehry, and this could have benefited from comments from joe blow or people outside art/architecture.

Rick hit where I was going to go... My Architect was much better for the simple fact that you are going on a personal journey with the film maker to identify with the subject as a person and an architect.

7/06/2006 11:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CounterData.com

This includes you.
Counter
CounterData.com

Search Advertising
Search Advertising Counter
.